Capital market; Financial insurance and taxation; Cross-border investment and the related dispute resolution
Jeffrey Quan has been a full-time law practitioner since 1988. He is a Master of Laws from the Graduate School of China University of Political Science and Law and completed a Master of Laws (LLM) Course at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law in the US.
As early in 1992, Quan obtained qualifications for securities legal service granted from the Ministry of Justice (MOJ) and the China Securities Regulatory Commission (CSRC). In 1998, he received admission to the Chinese Certified Tax Agent (CTA) from the State Administration of Taxation, China. Subsequently, the CSRC and the National Accounting Institute China awarded Quan a certificate of accreditation of competence to be board secretary and independent director of a listed company.
Quan and his team as PRC counsels for the issuers or underwriters, participated in and successfully completed several domestic, cross-border restructurings and IPO projects for enterprises of varying sizes, as well as help domestic and foreign companies issue various types of bonds or notes at home and abroad. At the same time, Quan also provided legal services to several corporate and investment funds in areas like refinancing, restructuring and M&A. In addition, he has carried out very focused performances in large-medium scale project-financing permits, domestic and foreign equity, assets and tax restructuring. These involved industries like large-scale real estate, construction and property management, large and medium-sized insurance services, information technology, film and TV, petrochemical and mining, light industrial products and paper products manufacturing, shipbuilding, pharmaceuticals and food manufacturing. Quan has worked in the Hong Kong and Guangzhou offices of well-known Hong Kong law firms, as well as accounting companies.
To handle the aforementioned projects in the resolution of diverse disputes, Quan has been admitted as member of Chartered Institute Arbitrator, UK (CIArb) and an arbitrator of some related committees in China since 2005. Since 2014, Quan has been employed as panel professional mediator of CCPIT/CICOC Mediation Center, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan International Mediation Center and China Securities Investor Services Center under CSRC. In addition, Quan has been director of the insurance law committee of the Guangzhou Lawyers Association (GZLA), an invited member of the Guangdong Provincial Insurance Industry Association Legal Work Committee, deputy director of the financial and asset management working committee of the Guangdong Lawyers Association (GDLA) and was among the first batch of members of GZLA, GDLA insurance and taxation working groups, respectively, and also training lecturer at the Law School of Guangzhou University. Quan can integrate risk compensation and tax rules into the protection of rights and interests of lawyers and relevant tax claims in this field. Quan is currently the panel-leading talent of the MOJ and the GDLA in the foreign legal service field and has won the GZLA’s “20 Years Contribution Award”, and the 2012, 2014, 2017 GDLA Outstanding Committee Award, the “GZLA Business Achievement Award” and other honours.
- Santak US versus Shandun Hong Kong, i.e. “SANTAK” trademark unfair competition;
- From 2002 to 2006, acting as chief legal counsel for Generali China Life Insurance, which is China’s first Sino-foreign joint-venture insurance company approved after China’s accession to the WTO;
- China Aoyuan Group’s large-scale overseas red-chip listing;
- Hongda Blasting’s mixed reform and A-share listing in China;
- Tax administrative dispute resolution case: Andrew Ronald MacDonald-Hardie versus Guangzhou Municipal Local Taxation Bureau First Inspection Bureau and Arquette (Guangzhou) Water Treatment Company.
- Proposal for Cooperation and Development of Legal Services in Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao under the background of One Belt, One Road and Guangdong Free Trade Zone (Guangdong Lawyers Association, September 2016);
- China’s current tax issues for managing foreigners in China (China Business Law Journal) ;
- Enterprise Asset Securitization: Policy Evolution and Legal Obstacles (China Business Law Journal);
- The Lawyers’ Taxation Study Manual (Guangzhou Lawyers’ Association, April 2014 and May 2016).
Working languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, Hakka and English.